Front page

Are you afraid of the dark?

(Click to invert colors, weenie.) (Requires JavaScript.)




All email will be assumed to be for publication unless otherwise requested.


What's in the banner?


Friday, March 09, 2012


Foto Friday: Possible Pillar


Sunset, Mar 8, 2012


This is last night's sunset. When I snapped it I thought it was a sun pillar. That would be a little unusual here, since those are caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere, and we don't get those a whole lot (though I have seen them). But now I think it's just the sunset reflecting off of virga.

Virga is precipitation which evaporates before it hits the ground. Now here's some virga for you (from this site). It's the Attack of the Extraterrestrial Jellyfish.

Lately our virga has not been evaporating, instead hitting the ground as simple rain. For the first week I was very glad, as we had not had enough rain this winter. But I'm about ready for it to end now. There's mildew everywhere. And besides, Kauai is washing away.

Labels: , ,